Croatia Captured Showcase

- Old Town Samobor -

The Old Town of Samobor, constructed in 1268 by Czech King Otokar, is a historical landmark located near the town of Samobor, Croatia. Over the centuries, this Romanesque-Gothic castle has been upgraded to late Gothic and Renaissance styles, and eventually to a Baroque style castle by various noble families. In the early 20th century, it became a property of the market town of Samobor and was recognized as a tourist attraction.

Photos taken on October 22nd, 2023

Fun fact no 1

Old Town Samobor was built between 1260 and 1264, originally by supporters of Czech King Ottokar. Over the centuries, it changed hands among various influential families, including the Babonići, the Hungarian-Croatian kings, the Counts of Celje, and the Frankopan family. This diverse ownership reflects the region's complex political and cultural history.

Fun fact no 2

The fortress features a mix of architectural styles, illustrating its evolution from the 13th to the 18th century. Key elements include a defensive tower from the 13th century, a Gothic tower with a chapel, and a baroque-style manor house with Tuscan columns in the courtyard. These structures represent various periods and styles, from medieval defensive architecture to baroque residential design.

Fun fact no 3

Registered under the code Z-3834 as a protected cultural property, Old Town Samobor is a valuable site for understanding the region's architectural and cultural history. The fortress, now a ruin, has undergone restoration efforts, particularly in the chapel, using materials from the collapsed parts of the fortress, cement, and slaked lime, to preserve its historical significance.

Learn more

Old Town Samobor, a fortress in ruins located on Tepec hill in Samobor, Croatia, is a site of significant historical and cultural value, recognized as a protected cultural property. The fortress, built between 1260 and 1264 by supporters of Czech King Ottokar, is constructed of stone atop living rock. Its layout is irregular, consisting of three parts, with the central section being the oldest.

The southeastern part of the central area features a high defensive tower (now in ruins), which is the primary remnant of the original Ottokar's castle. Additionally, there is a semi-circular tower with a small Gothic chapel of St. Anne from the third decade of the 16th century located on the first floor of a three-story tower (also in ruins).

In the 16th century, the fortress underwent rebuilding and expansion northward, resulting in an elongated trapezoidal courtyard encircled by strong defensive walls and a pentagonal battery tower at the ends. Over the 17th and 18th centuries, further additions and reconstructions were made. The last structure built within the fortress was a three-story house on its southern side, featuring a courtyard with arcades and Tuscan columns, transforming the fortress into a baroque-style manor house. By the end of the 18th century, the fortress was abandoned, and the stone structure began to deteriorate.

Historically, the first known rulers of Old Town Samobor were the Babonići family, followed by the Hungarian-Croatian king, and later became the property of the Counts of Celje in the early 15th century. In the early 16th century, it was owned by the Frankopan family. Subsequently, the castle changed hands multiple times, with families such as the Tržac, Tahy, Auersperg, Kiepach, Erdödy, and Kulmer being some of its residents. In 1902, the Samobor municipality purchased the castle from its then-owner Montecuccoli, and since then, it has been a popular excursion spot.

An ongoing restoration project aims to preserve Old Town Samobor. Restoration efforts have included work on the chapel's walls, utilizing stone from the collapsed parts of the fortress, cement, and slaked lime. Structurally and stylistically, Old Town Samobor is a layered agglomeration built from the 13th to the 18th century. The oldest part is a defensive tower from the 13th century, followed by a Gothic tower with a chapel, a palace built in the 15th and 16th centuries, and two battery towers and a suburb with a pentagonal bastion. In the 16th and 17th centuries, the castle underwent remodeling, receiving a baroque courtyard arcade with Tuscan columns, but it was eventually abandoned in the 18th century. The fortress is constructed from rough stone with carved details, many of which are preserved.

Registered under the code Z-3834, Old Town Samobor is an individually, legally protected cultural property, classified as "secular architectural heritage." For those interested in historical ruins with a rich past, Old Town Samobor offers a fascinating glimpse into the region's architectural and cultural history.